The holidays are fast approaching, and while many may stamp the coming months as “slow,” a dental practice can do a number of things to boost revenue during this time. Think of the next few months as a built in marketing plan to use to your advantage. This is a great time to bolster patient loyalty and, likewise, show your loyalty to them.
- Plan to promote. The first thing you will want to do to gear up for the holiday season is to create a schedule. Sit down with your staff and make note of which holidays are coming up (i.e. Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanukah, New Year’s, Valentine’s Day), and which procedures or products you are most concerned with promoting. After you have solidified a working schedule, you are ready for the creative part.
- Make it relevant. Now it’s time to find interesting and relevant ways to engage your patients. Brainstorm newsletter ideas that tie into the holiday season. You can be as creative or as straightforward as you like. For instance, a December newsletter titled “Candy Cane Cleanup” —designed to educate dental patients on the top five most worrisome holiday treats for teeth — can be informative and relevant to patients. At the bottom of the newsletter, you can add a call-to-action button that allows patients to request an appointment. Contrarily, a more straightforward newsletter or social media post may include a New Year’s discount on teeth whitening when you refer a friend.
- Be festive. If you use a patient engagement service, such as Smile Reminder, then you have access to a full suite of predesigned newsletters perfect for the holidays. As I alluded to above, it is okay to get spirited in your approach. Try a Holiday Card Smile Brightening Treatment or a Valentine’s Day BOGO special on facial aesthetic treatments.
- Use social media. It isn’t only newsletters that can help boost activity during the holidays, but social media can also be a big player. Use the holidays to create interactive posts to keep your office in the thoughts of your patients. For example, do a countdown to a bright and healthy New Year’s smile, where for the weeks leading up to the holiday your office posts a daily tip for a bright smile. This is sure to be a fun and an engaging way to draw patient attention during the holidays.
- Target effectively. Just as targeted outreach is effective all year, it is also doubly effective during the holidays. Choosing particular groups of patients to receive specific newsletters makes them feel special and shows you care. Consider a holiday “use It or loose It” reminder to those patients who take advantage of flex spending insurance dollars. Include a call-to-action to schedule appointments before the year ends. The more specific and targeted you can be, the more likely you are to bolster your bottom line.
By following these quick and easy steps, your office is sure to be well on its way to a happy (and lucrative) holiday season!
As director of marketing at Smile Reminder, Michael Mosley is keeper of the Smile Reminder brand. His responsibilities include brand awareness, brand messaging, lead generation, and sales enablement. During Michael’s tenure, Smile Reminder has experienced remarkable growth from both within existing vertical markets and focused market expansion efforts. A graduate of the Business School at Arizona State University, Mosley's most important focus is his family and helping others find the same joy he has experienced through child adoption.