With the coronavirus pandemic continuing to disrupt the regular practice of dentistry across the country, the American Dental Hygienists' Association has issued a document titled ADHA Interim Guidance on Returning to Work.1 The 10-page guidance is intended to assist dental hygienists in safely returning to their dental settings and providing patient care.
The guidance, issued April 30, comes as 16 states have reopened for elective dental procedures as of May 12—despite the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's recommendation as of April 27 to "postpone elective procedures, surgeries, and non-urgent dental visits."3
The guidance draws on information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; the Occupational Safety and Health Administration; the American Dental Association; and the Organization for Safety, Asepsis, and Prevention. It discusses patient preparation, personal protective equipment, disinfection, and special considerations for dental hygienists. A "Dental Hygiene Readiness to Work" checklist and patient screening questionnaire are also provided.
Links to the guidance:
- ADHA Interim Guidance on Returning to Work[Full guidance]
- Dental Hygiene Readiness to Work Checklist
- ADHA COVID-19 Screening Questionnaire
- Frequently Asked Questions Related to Return to Work
- ADHA Interim Guidance on Returning to Work. American Dental Hygienists' Association. Updated April 30, 2020. Accessed May 3, 2020. https://www.adha.org/resources-docs/ADHA_TaskForceReport.pdf
- American Dental Association Center for Professional Success. COVID-19 State Mandates and Recommendations. Updated May 1, 2020. Accessed May 1, 2020. https://success.ada.org/en/practice-management/patients/covid-19-state-mandates-and-recommendations
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). Dental Settings. Page reviewed April 27, 2020. Accessed May 1, 2020. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/dental-settings.html
CDC updates reopening guidance for dental settings (Published April 28, 2020)
Editor's note: This article first appeared in the Morning Briefing, a daily newsletter published by Dental Economics, DentistryIQ, Perio-Implant Advisory, and RDH. Learn more and subscribe here.
For full coverage of the coronavirus pandemic, visit the DentistryIQ COVID-19 Resource Center.