Dental Hygienist Salary Survey 2014
Difficulty in finding a job as a dental hygienist in Texas
Observation: Among the states yielding a respectable return on responses to the salary survey, Texas projects the most promising employment outlook for dental hygienists. Even the 22% who think it is “very difficult” to find a job is outweighed by the 24% who think it is “relatively easy.” Cautiously pack your bags, though; 40% still think it is “somewhat difficult” to find a job in Texas.
Length of time since last pay raise in Texas
Observation: On the first two categories, which usually means good news such as a fairly recent raise, Texas trends above the national averages. Not by much — two to three percentage points.
Most common hourly pay rates in Texas
$35, $37, $38
Observation: $35 an hour is the most common rate reported. The vast majority of Texas hygienists earn between $34 and $40 an hour. Houston, San Antonio, and Dallas-Fort Worth account for 55% of the responses from the state. The Lone Star state sits above national averages for hourly rates.
Descriptions of pay arrangements based on production or commission
- 50% on prophies, scale and root planes, and fluoride treatments. 40% on X-rays and sealants
- If average is more than $1,000, get 15% of whatever above $1,000. If more than $1,200, get 20%, and so on. But no more than 30%. A little more complicated structure for bonuses. It's a dental corporation.
- It is on tiers. Monthly production of $27,000 results in $500 bonus; $30,000 about $700, etc. I'm not sure of exact figures because the baseline changes quite often.
- 35% of production. I am the hygiene team leader for the practice. I run department/business for my doctors. I earn an additional $900 on a monthly basis for my effort.
- My commission is 42% of production
- Percentage of AGR which is the amount insurance pays plus what the patient pays out of pocket
- 33% commission for all procedures in hygiene - X-rays, exams, perio, prophy, sealants, products.
- We're on a bonus system, which is split among all employees, including front desk. We work as a team and are cross-trained to help everyone. Bonuses usually average $800 a month.
- $270 a day guaranteed / 30% commission