Top "Speaker Don'ts" from the UOR Speaking Workshop Participants
1. Reading word-for-word from PowerPoint slides
2. Speaking too fast
3. Speaking in monotone - no variety in inflection
4. Giving so much information that the audience cannot keep up or absorb the main points
5. Not using a microphone
6. Using "I" too much. "I did this … I met that person … I, I, I"
7. Lack of stage movement
8. Not controlling the audience questions. Allowing the audience to stray from the objective of the program
9. Incorrectly spelled words on PowerPoint slides
10. Hard-to-read colors and fonts on PowerPoint slides
11. Incomplete hand-outs
Look for another Speaker's Workshop at UOR 2007. Potential focus: Platform Skills.