Human resources questions: I-9 forms and temporary employees

Aug. 19, 2011
Should you complete an I-9 form for temporary employees you may have in your dental practice? Tim Twigg and Rebecca Crane of Bent Ericksen & Associates tell you what's required.

Question: I occasionally hire employees for fill-in work, with the employment lasting one or two days. Am I required to have the temps complete an I-9 form, or is that only needed for regular full- and part-time employment?

Answer: An I-9 form must be completed by the end of the first day of work even if the length of employment is for only one to two days. The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Agency (USCIS) updated its Handbook for Employers on Jan. 5, 2011. It is an excellent source of related information and can be obtained through the USCIS website at

CLICK HERE for more human resources questions and answers.

The opinions expressed above are based on the writer’s comprehensive background as a human resources professional and the policies in our Bent Ericksen & Associates products having been reviewed by legal counsel. The writer is not an attorney, and the advice provided in this message should not be construed as a legal opinion. If you have legal questions after considering the advice and reading any materials referenced, it is recommended that you consult with your attorney.

Author bio
Tim Twigg is the president of Bent Ericksen & Associates, and Rebecca Crane is a human resource compliance consultant with Bent Ericksen & Associates. For 30 years, the company has been a leading authority in human resource and personnel issues, helping dentists deal successfully with the ever-changing and complex labor laws. To receive a complimentary copy of the company’s quarterly newsletter or to learn more about its services, call (800) 679-2760 or visit