The Dr. Samuel D. Harris National Museum of Dentistry will showcase its newest traveling exhibition, MouthPower, during the ADA Annual Session Sept. 27–29 in San Francisco.
Mouthie the chatterteeth mascot guides children through eight hands-on learning stations to discover the power of a healthy smile and the importance of oral health to a healthy life.
Designed for ages 5–8, this hands-on exhibition features vibrant modular learning stations that can be configured to any space. Children learn the parts of the tooth, practice the right way to brush and floss, explore healthy eating, discover the trouble with tobacco, and dress up and role play the dental team in a child-size "dental office."
"This new traveling exhibition will bring museums and local dental communities together to deliver important oral health messages to the public," said National Museum of Dentistry Executive Director Rosemary Fetter. "We are excited to bring it to the ADA Annual Session to show the impact that this exhibition will have on improving oral health across the country."
MouthPower is the latest in a series of successful nationwide traveling exhibitions created by the National Museum of Dentistry, recognized for its innovative exhibits and programs that educate the public about the importance of oral health in a healthy life.
These exhibitions, including Branches, Bristles and Batteries: Toothbrushes Through Time and The Future is Now!: African-Americans in Dentistry, have reached more than 2 million people at children's and science museums and other venues throughout North America.
The MouthPower traveling exhibition features:
* Build a Tooth: Build a tooth by turning colorful overlay pages in a tooth-shaped book.
* Let's Brush and Floss: Practice brushing and flossing on an oversize mouth with king-size brush and floss.
* Say No to Smoking: "Put out" the cigarettes to learn about the risks of smoking.
* Start Your Food Adventure: Begin a lifetime of healthy eating with smart food choices from the new food pyramid.
* Let's Eat! Let's Move!: Explore how portion size and exercise builds a healthy body.
* Join the Dental Team: Don clinic coats and become members of the dental team (dentist, patient, hygienist, and assistant) in a child-size dental office complete with chair and x-rays.
* Play the MouthPower Game: Explore an interactive computer version of the exhibition.
This exhibition is made possible by a grant from Colgate-Palmolive.
For more information, call (410) 706-0600 or visit National Museum of Dentistry.