District of Columbia metropolitan area — 27 responses
Total responses for Maryland: 30
Average hourly rate for Maryland (which include responses from the Washington, D.C. area): $41.55
Total responses for Virginia: 39
Average hourly rate for Virginia (which included responses from Washington, D.C. area): $38.80
Average hourly rate for Washington, D.C. metropolitan area: $44.68
Average hourly rate for Washington, D.C. area in 2010: $46.34
Differential: $1.66 decrease
The most common hourly rates reported were: $50 (20%) and $45 (16%).
Benefits available through employer
- Health insurance, 57%
- Employer contribution towards retirement, 71%
- Paid vacation and holidays, 91%
- Paid sick leave, 52%
- Life insurance, 10%
- Dental insurance, 14%
- Disability insurance, 10%
- CE tuition reimbursement, 52%
Comments about the Washington, D.C. area
- Some dentists take advantage of the bad economy.
- Work for a group of three general dentists. Patients have been fleeing practice the past three years because of economy. We are fee-for-service practice; docs will not consider any insurance. Recently, their salaries have taken a hit, not staff. But I think it's coming. Great docs, poor business management style. Consider myself very lucky, and hope it holds.