Washington Crossing, PA – February 13, 2013 – Charles (Chip) Whitney, MD, owner of Revolutionary Health Services in Washington Crossing, is one of the nation's leading advocates and educators regarding the Third Era of Medicine, which represents a major change in the mindset of physicians, where the focus is to empower motivated patients to create health. At its core, a Third Era Practice attempts to bridge the gap between standard of care and optimal care by using underutilized innovative technologies and methods supported by institutions like the Cleveland Clinic and the American Heart Association.
Dr. Whitney is vice president of the American Academy of Private Physicians (AAPP.org), a growing group of medical doctors, also historically known as concierge medicine or direct primary care practitioners. Dr. Whitney has been actively introducing Third Era principles to local residents and allied health professionals such as dentists and hygienists since 2003.
Dr. Whitney strongly recognizes that poor oral health can strongly impact a patient's overall health and has become one of dentistry’s biggest physician allies. Here are some examples:
- Partnered with key opinion leader Richard Nagelberg, DDS, to introduce their respective patients to the Carotid Intima-Media Thickness (CIMT) Ultrasound. CIMT is a non-invasive, state-of-the-art test that can detect plaque earlier in its development than any other cardiovascular screening test available.
- Authored a “Viewpoint” guest editorial in Dentistry Today, criticizing the confusing message issued by The American Heart Association regarding whether or not there is enough evidence to support the link between periodontal disease and heart disease.
- Is an active member of the American Academy of Oral Systemic Health which is a strong proponent of Physician-Dentist collaboration to treat the entire patient in order to achieve optimal overall health.
- Uses the MyPerioPath® salivary diagnostic test from OralDNA Labs on patients to detect whether high risk oral bacteria are a contributor to his patients’ vascular disease.
- When appropriate, refers sleep apnea patients to qualified dentists for a custom-fitted oral appliance in order to control their sleep disordered breathing
- Authored the 4-part continuing education course for dental professionals entitled “A Comprehensive Review of Vascular Disease,” which is posted on INeedCE.com. The purpose of the course is to help dental professionals understand their critical role in treating and preventing the cause of heart attacks and strokes. Dentists, hygienists, and dental assistants can earn up to 8 credits by completing the courses.
According to Dr. Whitney, “All humans are ‘rusting’ — that is the degenerative mechanisms that lead to disease are fully in motion, yet the individual does not yet feel it. People who are objectively shown the progression of their “rust” are intrinsically motivated to make the focused changes needed to improve their health path.
Heart attacks can be life-threatening. Dr. Whitney has seen many patients whose oral inflammation caused by high risk bacteria is a major contributor to their cardiovascular disease. With proper home treatment and intervention by their dentist and hygienist, he has seen risk factors dramatically improve, and even seen the reverse of objective disease. “In my opinion, of all allied health practitioners, dentists and hygienists may ultimately be shown to play the biggest supporting role in combating and preventing systemic disease. For the sake of our patients, we need to close the loop on medicine and dentistry.”
To learn more about the Third Era of Medicine, direct primary care and private physicians, download the free article entitled “The Third Era of Medicine: A Functional Approach to restoring the Health of America,” from www.RevolutionaryHealthServices.com. You can also contact Dr. Whitney at 215-321-1371.