Pamela Maragliano-Muniz, DMD, recounts some of the highlights from the 2017 International Dental Show (IDS) in Cologne, Germany—new products ranging from a wireless intraoral scanner to Gracey curettes.
During the 2016 Chicago Midwinter Meeting, I entered a contest at the Ivoclar Vivadent booth to win a trip to the 2017 International Dental Show (IDS) in Cologne, Germany. As someone who never wins anything, I didn't give it another thought in the months that followed. Then, Ivoclar Vivadent announced the winners in a Facebook post, and I was astonished to learn that I won! I went to Cologne last month and was blown away by IDS.
IDS is the world’s largest trade show, and it is unlike any other dental meeting out there. When the meeting is held every two years, manufacturers from all over the world present new technologies. IDS 2017 did not disappoint.
Here are just a few of the highlights:
• 3Shape presented the first wireless Trios 3 intraoral scanner.
• Planmeca introduced its new Emerald intraoral scanner, which produces incredible images of the scanned teeth.
• Ivoclar Vivadent introduced 54 new products, including the PrograMill series consisting of four milling machines.
• Voco now offers a complete digital workflow.
• Philips demonstrated its new Philips Sonicare DiamondClean Smart toothbrush and app that monitors tooth brushing habits and encourages proper oral hygiene practices.
• Komet will soon offer new burs for better and more efficient composite polishing, all-ceramic adjusting, finishing and polishing, and sectioning all-ceramic restorations.
• DMG introduced a new 3-D printer and associated milling materials.
• Hu-Friedy introduced new EverEdge 2.0 surfaces on its hand instruments, and I had the opportunity to speak with Anna Pattison, RDH, about her new design for Gracey curettes that are designed for patients with tight tissue.
I could go on and on … it was a dental utopia! If you would like to see some additional highlights (and some fun) from IDS, check out Apex360's coverage.
Many of the products introduced at IDS will be available in the United States in the immediate future or within the next few months. We will be sharing the latest in product innovation each month, so stay tuned!
And a piece of advice—enter every contest you can.