PLEASANT HILL, California--Zap Lasers announced that its Styla MicroLaser was selected one of the year's best-designed medical devices and is the winner of a 2009 Medical Design Excellence Award.
Styla features a compact and wire-free design, which was judged as one of the year's best by an independent, multidisciplinary panel.
"The thought that a pen-sized, wire-free, portable microlaser would be
performing soft-tissue laser procedures in dentists' offices seemed unreal as little as a year ago, but, in fact, our work on Styla began long before then," noted Alex Di Sessa, Zap's vice president of sales and marketing.
"Styla is the result of more than two years of precise design and engineering. Zap is honored to have these efforts recognized by the Medical Design Excellence Awards, and proud to have delivered a revolutionary tool that allows dental professionals to provide their patients the highest standard of care."
Styla is 6.9 inches long and 1.9 ounces in weight, which is 20 times lighter than any other soft-tissue laser on the market today. Approved by the FDA to perform more than 25 soft-tissue laser procedures, Styla's diode laser technology means patients require minimum anesthetic during surgery, and experience faster healing times than traditional dentistry patients.
In addition to eight preset procedures and 2.0 watts of power, Styla's features include:
* Lightweight aluminum body: Tough and functional, yet lightweight and
ergonomically balanced, Styla's main body remains comfortable in doctor's
hands, even after extended use.
* Disposable Tips: Ready-to-use straight from the box, Styla's tips are prethreaded with fiber and use a custom-designed magnetic system to align and secure themselves to the microlaser.
* Intelligent gravity sensor: Automatically detects Styla's orientation and adjusts the display to be read from any angle.
* Rechargeable lithium ion batteries: Custom-engineered, one charge has enough power for 15 procedures. Fully charged, stand-by time is more than eight hours.
* Wireless foot pedal: Uses advanced wireless technology to securely
communicate with Styla.
Styla will be honored alongside other MDEA winners at an award ceremony during the Medical Design & Manufacturing East Conference in New York. At this event, gold and silver MDEA award designations will be announced, noting best-of-the-best among the MDEA honorees.
For more information on Styla and Zap's family of soft-tissue lasers, visit Zap Lasers or call (888) 876-4546.
To read more about Zap Lasers, go to Zap Lasers.
To comment on this product, go to PennWell Dental Community site.