HACKENSACK, New Jersey--Hand hygiene has received a lot of public attention in recent years, fueled by the H1N1 pandemic and fear of "superbugs" such as MRSA.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the No. 1 way to prevent the spread of infection is hand hygiene. The message to health-care workers is direct: Wash your hands often.
But for dentists, hygienists and office staff, the price for frequent hand hygiene is often chronically dry and irritated hands.
To combat this problem, Sultan Healthcare has introduced Moist SURETM--a line of hand hygiene products designed for dental practices.
The line offers professional-level protection, but without the side effects of frequent hand-washing. Moist SURE is scheduled to debut at the end of February at the Chicago Dental Society's Midwinter Meeting.
The product line includes:
* Moist SURE Liquid Sanitizer: A 63% isopropyl alcohol sanitizer that's clinically proven to moisturize as well as a lotion. It kills MRSA and VRE in five seconds.
Moist SURE Foaming Sanitizer: A 62% ethyl alcohol foaming sanitizer that's as effective as 4% chlorhexidine gluconate surgical scrub, yet gentle so it keeps skin hydrated up to two hours after application.
* Moist SURE Lotion Soap: A smooth and soft antimicrobial health-care personnel handwash that contains 0.5% triclosan. Its clinically mild formulation has a light fragrance.
* Moist SURE Foaming Soap: A clinically mild, foaming health-care personnel handwash with 0.75% triclosan. Its performance is comparable to a 4% chlorhexidine hand soap.
* Moist SURE Lotion: A skin conditioner with long-lasting moisturizing effect, even after several hand washes.
* Moist SURE Automatic Dispenser: A touch-free, contained dispensing system that minimizes cross contamination. (For use with Moist SURE Lotion Soap and Moist SURE Liquid Sanitizer.)
"Time and again, dental professionals I speak to complain about dry, cracked skin from having to wash their hands so often," said Tim Lorencovitz, product manager for Moist SURE.
"They don't realize, though, that hand hygiene products they buy at the grocery store are not designed for the high frequency use of a health-care professional … and their hands are paying the price."
What makes Moist SURE unique, according to Lorencovitz and the products' clinical data, is that it offers the efficacy dental workers need, but without the drying effects of many products.
Moist SURE soaps and sanitizers meet FDA-proposed requirements for a health-care personnel handwash. In addition, products have been clinically tested for mildness to the skin with Moist SURE Liquid Sanitizer having moisturization properties equal to that of Vaseline Intensive Care Hand Lotion.
"In essence, you have all the protection of an alcohol-based sanitizer, but in a formula that's proven to moisturize as well as a hand lotion," said Lorencovitz. "The feedback we're getting is extremely positive. People can feel a difference as soon as they put it on their hands."
This is good news for those who have to scrub and sanitize all day for their jobs.
Information and free samples of Moist SURE are available at Moist SURE. The Moist SURE line is available exclusively through dental dealers.
To read more about Sultan Healthcare, go to Sultan Healthcare
To comment on this product, go to PennWell Dental Community site.