The American Dental Assistants Association (ADAA) and the Dental Assisting National Board, Inc. (DANB) have selected the winners of the 2013 ADAA/DANB Scholarship.
The newly launched scholarship program is intended to help dental assistants turn their professional development plans into reality. Dental assistants from across the country submitted applications, and the scholarship committee had the tough task of assessing the many highly qualified applicants. When evaluating the applications, the scholarship committee looked for dental assistants who demonstrated a strong commitment to career growth and lifelong learning in the dental assisting profession.
The awards ceremony was held Oct. 31 at the 2013 ADAA Annual Session in New Orleans. The scholarship committee selected five winners for this year's ADAA/DANB Scholarship:
- Theresa Anderson, of Wentzville, Mo., plans to use her scholarship award to earn DANB certification and ADAA Fellowship.
- Brittany Ashenfelter, CDA, of Indianapolis, Ind., will apply her scholarship award toward earning a master's degree in clinical research administration.
- Nicole Calderone, of Hemet, Calif., is pursuing California's Registered Dental Assistant in Expanded Functions II (RDAEF II) program.
- Fanice Jean-Baptiste, of Lynn, Mass., plans to earn DANB's Certified Dental Assistant (CDA) certification. Her scholarship award will be applied to the General Chairside Assisting (GC) component exam fees.
- Maria Urita, CDA, of Joppa, Md., will use her scholarship award toward earning DANB's Certified Restorative Functions Dental Assistant (CRFDA) certification.
"As America's largest membership organization for dental assistants, the ADAA is proud to partner with DANB to recognize the deserving recipients of this new scholarship to help take their careers to the next level," says ADAA President Carolyn Breen, CDA, RDA, RDH, Ed.D.
"Both ADAA and DANB promote lifelong learning, and we are excited that this year's winners will receive the additional funds necessary to help them achieve their DANB certification, continuing education, and other professional development goals," says DANB Board Chair Frank Maggio, D.D.S.
The ADAA/DANB Scholarship is a joint collaboration between the ADAA and DANB. Information about the 2014 ADAA/DANB Scholarship will be announced in the coming months.
For more information about the American Dental Assistant Association, visit www.dentalassistant.org.
For more information about the Dental Assisting National Board, Inc., visit www.danb.org.