CHICAGO--The American Dental Association has announced the establishment of the ADA Humanitarian Award to annually honor a member for outstanding contributions that impact oral health and improve the oral health of underserved populations.
"We are very pleased to offer this award that recognizes those who have selflessly made a lasting impact on the oral health care of their fellow human beings," stated Dr. James B. Bramson, ADA executive director. "Acknowledging ADA members that give unselfishly of their time and professional skills not only recognizes their individual contributions, but encourages others to pursue similar activities and reflects positively on the profession."
CRITERIA FOR AWARD
A potential award recipient is an individual whose exemplary work:
* contributes significantly to help alleviate human suffering and improve the quality of life and oral health of those served;
* demonstrates significant leadership and outstanding humanitarian volunteer accomplishments that bring honor to the profession;
* serves as an inspiration to the dental profession;
* shows a commitment to humanity and selflessness in regard to direct personal or organizational gain or profit; and
* establishes a legacy of ongoing value and benefit to others.
This year's winner will receive $1,500 donated to the dental charity or project of his or her choice and will be honored at an award ceremony at the ADA's 2008 annual session in San Antonio, Texas.
NOMINATING AN ADA MEMBER
Any active, life or retired member in good standing of the ADA may nominate a candidate by submitting a nomination to the Office of the Executive Director, with a postmark not later than Oct. 15.
Consideration in the following year will apply to nominations received after the Oct. 15 deadline. A nominator is limited to one Humanitarian Award nomination per year.
To download the ADA Humanitarian Award's nomination packet, visit American Dental Association.
For more information, contact the ADA Center for International Development and Affairs at 312-440-2726 or e-mail [email protected].