The American Dental Education Association (ADEA) will hold its Third International Women's Leadership Conference in Montreal, Canada, Aug. 28-30.
The Conference theme is "Global Health Through Women's Leadership". It builds on the successes of two previous IWLC's that were held in Cannes/Mandelieu, France (1998) and Göteborg, Sweden (2003). Proceedings from the first two conferences appear in the Journal of Dental Education (March 1999) and as a Supplement to the Journal of Dental Education (Summer 2004).
The Conferences provide an opportunity for networking and information exchange through plenary sessions, peer reviewed oral and poster presentations, working group sessions and skills workshops.
Vivian Pinn, M.D., Director of the Office of Research on Women's Health (NIH, USA) and Emoke Szathmary, M.D., President and Vice Chancellor, University of Manitoba, Canada are scheduled to deliver keynote addresses. Michele Aerden, L.S.D., FDI President, will also address the group.
The content for five interactive working group sessions has evolved from the prior two conferences that addressed leadership barriers and issues. Working groups at this conference will focus on opportunities and solutions.
* Advancement of Women in Academic and Research Careers - Cynthia Pine, B.D.S., Ph.D., MBA, Liverpool, UK
* Mentoring, Role-Modeling and Networking the Leadership Triad - Susan Silverton, M.D., Ph.D., Ontario, Canada
* Work-Related Issues¿More than Time Management ¿ Hazel Harper, D.D.S., M.P.H., USA and Kaneta Lott, D.D.S., USA
* Entry/Reentry and Alternate Careers ¿ Christine Osborne, B.D.S., FFGDP MGDS LDS RCS, UK
* Agenda for Women's Health Promotion ¿ Shobha Tandon, B.D.S., M.D.S., India
Skills development sessions will be led by two world renown authors:
* Carole Leland, Ph.D., author of "Women of Influence Women of Vision ¿ A Cross Generational Study of Leaders," will focus on the politically savvy leader
* Adele Scheele, Ph.D., career strategist and author of "Skills for Success," will focus on transformational leadership
The IWLC is intended for both men and women who are interested in the development of leadership in a global context.
The Conference is being held at the Le Centre Sheraton Hotel. The official language of the conference is English. Registration information is located at www.adea.org. For inquiries about the conference, contact ADEA Conference Services at 001-202-289-7201, or by email: [email protected].