Philips, Oral-B, Waterpik continue to dominate online sales of electric oral health appliances
The powered oral health products manufactured by Philips, Oral-B, and Waterpick continue to dominate the market.
Electric toothbrushes manufactured by Philips and Oral-B, as well as powered flossers from Waterpik, dominate the online sales of the electric oral health care market in the United States, according to a report for 1010data, a New York City-based marketing research company.
The report said that from August 2016 and January 2017 Philips and Oral-B sold 70% of online purchases of all electric oral care products. Waterpick was third with 18% of sales.
Most of the remaining companies listed in the report base sales on generic replacement brush heads for the powered toothbrushes. "Electric toothbrush heads alone produced more sales than manual toothbrushes and floss combined in the same period," the 1010data report said.
The report indicated that Waterpick may be challenged online by h20floss' oral irrigator: "H2ofloss experienced the most growth of any electric oral care brand, generating 34 times more sales from August 2016 – January 2017 than in the same period the year prior."
1010data said Brightdeal, which makes replacement brush heads for Oral-B and Philips' powered toothbrushes enjoyed the greatest online conversion rate. "Electric oral care brands have high conversion rates since this is a fairly niche market with relatively few players. Consumers that search online for electric oral care products are likely to buy. About 16% of consumers who view Brightdeal’s products online end up making a purchase."
Amazon remains consumers' top choice for the purchase of oral health care products, commanding 54% of the market. Kohls, Costco, Walmart, and Target were other sites selling these products to consumers.
"Like most categories online, Amazon commands the majority of sales of electric oral care products," the report said. "Over half of the category’s products are sold directly by Amazon and another 22% is sold through the Marketplace. Most other retailers in this space are big-box retailer websites, like Walmart and Target."
During the report's timeframe, Aug. 2016 through Jan. 2017, these were the top 10 oral health products sold online:
- Philips Sonicare Essence Sonic Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush, White
- Oral-B Pro 1000 Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush
- Waterpik Aquarius Water Flosser
- Philips Sonicare 2 Series Plaque Control Sonic Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush
- Oral-B Black Pro 1000 Power Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush Powered by Braun
- Oral-B Pro 5000 SmartSeries Power Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush with Bluetooth
- Waterpik Complete Care Water Flosser and Sonic Toothbrush
- Oral-B Vitality Floss Action Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush
- Oral-B Floss Action Replacement Electric Toothbrush Heads
- Oral-B Sensitive Gum Replacement Electric Toothbrush Heads