Oral-B launches Bluetooth-connected electric toothbrush, corresponding app
Via Bluetooth 4.0 technology, the Oral-B SmartSeries electric toothbrush connects to the enhanced Oral-B app that provides real-time guidance while users brush and records brushing activity that users can share with their dental professionals, helping to create smarter and more personalized brushing routines.
Features of the brush include:
- Low-energy Bluetooth 4.0 technology links the toothbrush to the Oral-B app. The toothbrush handle can store up to 20 brushing sessions, and as of July 2015, will be able to store 30 brushing sessions. This way, no session is lost if the toothbrush is not connected to the Oral-B app.
- Oscillating-rotating-pulsating technology removes up to 100% more plaque than a regular manual toothbrush.
- The pressure sensor signals and decelerates the speed when the user is brushing too hard.
- Up to five different cleaning modes are available: Daily Clean, Deep Clean, Whitening, Gum Care, Sensitive.
- The brush is compatible with six brush heads: CrossAction, Precision Clean, 3D White, Sensitive, Floss Action, DeepSweep.
- Travel accessories protect brush and charger during travel.
Helps users reach goals
Oral-B has developed the next generation of personalized journeys, custom-made to fit each mouth’s needs. Through the Dental Care Journeys, users will experience a personalized brushing routine for a designated period of time based on their goals, such as whiter teeth for an upcoming wedding or cleaner braces.
Delivers expert direction with professional guidance
Users can partner with their dental professionals through the enhanced Professional Guidance feature that provides customized care. Patients can share their brushing data with their dental professionals ahead of their visits to discuss areas for improvement. In addition to programming extra brushing time for specific zones, their dental professionals can now input specific guidance for each patient that they can follow while brushing. Dental professionals can also provide specific product recommendations, all to ensure that patients can remember their advice outside the office.
Fosters better brushing
The app and interactive electric toothbrush help drive patient compliance, which determines a large part of the success of dental appointments, by keeping track of brushing statistics and alerting users when they are brushing too hard. With the Oral-B app, the average brushing session duration is 2 minutes and 24 seconds (1). Given that most people brush for fewer than 60 seconds, this is a significant improvement in brushing routines (2).
Helps users stay engaged
The app helps maintain users’ attention and motivation while brushing with scrolling news, weather, and oral care tips. The app also allows users to share their brushing statistics and receive achievement badges that they can share via their social media channels.
Keeps users’ shopping lists at their fingertips
The app will automatically recommend products that best fit users’ needs based on the journeys they have chosen to undertake or their dental professionals’ recommendations.
The enhanced Oral-B app will be available for free on iOS and Android in the summer of 2015.
For more information, visit www.oralb.com.
(1) IconMobile December Quarterly Report.
(2) British Dental Health Foundation. May 25, 2010. Retrieved from www.dentalhealth.org/news/details/399.